A client-side Java update that is expected to be released on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 will negatively impact functionality within Blackboard Learn. The Java update 7u51, issued by Oracle and documented here, contains security requirements which require changes to Blackboard Learn to accommodate. The necessary fixes are currently in process by Blackboard; it is hoped they will be released by January 21.
With Java Update 7u51 installed, the following functions in Blackboard Learn will not work:
NOTE: This update should NOT affect Bb Collaborate; it will only affect the lightweight Chat and Virtual Classroom tools, found under the "Collaboration" tool
There is a recently-discovered issue with using rubrics to grade discussions. After saving and submitting the grade, all feedback and criteria scoring disappears. Only the total points remain. This problem only affects discussions. Assignments, blogs, and journals retain all rubric information. For now, please DO NOT USE rubrics for grading discussions. We have opened a ticket with Bb Support.
Please remember that Bb Learn is unavailable every Thursday from 2am - 6am for weekly maintenance. Please be sure to complete your work and log off before 2am every Thursday.
Students and Instructors: When attaching files to assignment submissions, building course content, or uploading files into Bb Learn for any other reason, please follow these file naming conventions in order to avoid problems reading these files later:
- Make sure all files have the appropriate file extension (such as "document.doc"). Don't leave the extension off.
- Use only letters, digits, and the "_" or "-" characters to name files (plus one "." for the file extension).
- Do not use characters like # & : ; / \ ? % $ @ in file names. For example "Lab#1.doc"is bad.
- Avoid using spaces in file names. For example use "lab_1.doc" not "lab 1.doc"
- For assignments uploads, if not directed otherwise by your instructor, include at a minimum your name and the name of the assignment in the file name. For example: "smith_john_assignment_2.docx"